September 25, 2019

In this issue…

Current News

Athletics Performance Center opens for Lancer Athletics

Student athletes have another reason to be pumped at California Baptist University. The university unveiled its Athletic Performance Center at a dedication ceremony on Sept. 20. The center features a 10,800-square-foot weight room, which makes the center the largest facility for a NCAA Division I non-football institution in the state of California.

The new center quadruples the size of the previous CBU strength and conditioning facility. The Athletic Performance Center is situated next to the 40,682-square-foot Recreation Center that opened in January 2013. The expanded facilities are part of the renovation of Lancer Plaza that now features a new entrance to CBU at Adams Street and Lancer Lane, a five-story East Parking Structure with more than 1,450 car stalls and the CBU Events Center that holds more than 5,000 seats for sporting and university events.

The Lancers are in their second year of a four-year transition into full NCAA Division I membership.

The Athletic Performance Center is equipped with some 9,300 pounds of weights, 14 squat racks, 18 pulley stations and 12 sets of dumbbells. There is also an indoor six-lane, 30-yard training area and a nutrition bar located in the facilities.

Dr. Micah Parker, director of athletics, said more than 450 student athletes in CBU’s 18 D-I teams would work out in the facilities multiple times weekly.

“Our mission here is to honor Christ through excellence in athletics, and this facility is going to help us do that,” Parker said. “This is where winning records, conference championships and memories will be created, not only for our university but for our community.”

CBU students receive LinkedIn training during seminar

Hundreds of California Baptist University students learned how to navigate and optimize their LinkedIn profiles at a seminar hosted by the Career Center on Sept. 19.

During the seminar, students were given a tutorial on how to create a professional LinkedIn profile. Students also learned how to network on the platform and strategize for potential jobs. Additionally, at the end of the seminar the students had the opportunity to take professional photos to place on their profile.

Lisa Singer, associate director of employer relations, said that LinkedIn is not like any other social media platform. It is a professional networking site that helps build one’s professional online presence, she explained.

“When I was your age, I could go into a potential employer and try to connect,” Singer told the audience. “LinkedIn can take the place of connecting with an employer face to face. Your profile is not supposed to mirror your resume, it is meant to accentuate it and create the narrative of why an employer should choose you.”

Jamie Jillson, career counselor at CBU, told students that a strong profile could draw job recruiters.

“Over 90% of recruiters actually use LinkedIn to vet their candidates. Vetting candidates is what recruiters can do to search your experience, education and your skills and qualifications,” Jillson said. “This is why you want to make sure your LinkedIn profile is strong, constantly updated and accurate.”

Ilyanna Capacete, a liberal studies senior, said she was encouraged to create a LinkedIn account after attending the seminar.

“I think just knowing that it will be more helpful in finding a job after I graduate is my biggest takeaway,” Capacete said.

Amanda Gann, a biomedical engineering junior, appreciated the strategies for networking and making connections.

“It’s important to make sure you connect with employers you’re interested in and also people in general. It doesn’t have to be someone you’re like best friends with; it can be anyone that can help you get a job in the future,” Gann said.

CBU scores high in Niche rankings for quality of campus life

California Baptist University received multiple recognitions in the latest national rankings, placing No. 6 for “Best College Campus,” No. 7 for “Best College Food” and No. 27 for “Best College Dorms,” according to a 2020 Niche Best Colleges list.

The Niche 2020 Best College rankings are based on numerous statistical analyses per category, according to the site. The Best College Campus category, for instance, uses key statistics and student reviews in addition to data from the U.S. Department of Education. The Niche Best College Campus standings also take into account the quality of housing, food services and students’ reviews of the campus.

“As a current sophomore, I couldn’t be more satisfied with my decision to attend CBU. It has everything I was looking for: small student to professor ratio, rigorous academics, positive campus culture, strong faith environment, and top-notch athletics. When I first walked onto campus, I immediately felt as though this could be my new home,” wrote a student reviewer on Niche.com’s profile page for CBU.

CBU also placed high among the Niche rankings for California colleges, including No. 2 for both “Best College Campus” and “Best College Food.” CBU placed No. 4 in the state for “Best College Dorms,” No. 9 for “Best Christian Colleges,” and No. 12 for “Best College Athletics in California.”

The Niche.com rankings come after the recent announcement that CBU was ranked No. 43 by U.S. News and World Report in the category of “Best Regional University.”

On Constitution Day, lecturer talks about human equality

Political systems and the ideas about justice have enormous power to shape the character and the way of life for individuals living under them, Dr. Christina Villegas told an audience at California Baptist University on Sept. 17.

Villegas, assistant professor of political science at California State University, San Bernardino, spoke at a Constitution Day event at CBU. Constitution Day marks the signing of the U.S. Constitution on Sept. 17, 1787.

Villegas said the Declaration of Independence includes “self-evident truths,” which focuses on the idea of natural human equality. However, the protection of those rights might seem incompatible with a government by consent, she added.

“The solution was a constitutional republic,” Villegas said. “American constitutionalism is rooted in the idea that individuals have rights that should not be repealed by human laws and that a constitution should be adopted to limit the scope of democracy.”

To achieve the goal of establishing a government based on consent that also protects rights, the American Constitution rests on the principal that state power should be limited in scope and non-arbitrary in character, Villegas said.

“If government is going to protect rights, it needs to be limited in such a way that it doesn’t become a threat to those rights,” Villegas said. “A non-arbitrary government is one that doesn’t pick and choose which groups it wants to protect from injury but protects all those under its jurisdiction through a blind, equal and consistent execution of the law.”

Villegas said these principles have faced challenges over the years. She said one of the first major challenges was equal natural rights and slavery. Today, many intellectuals and politicians fractionalize individuals into social identity groups, whether on the basis of class, gender or race, etc., she added.

“An unfettered state that starts favoring individuals based on their membership in a particular class starts to deprive them of their claim of rights outside of their identity with that class and therefore it ironically threatens the equality and the rights of all men and women,” Villegas said.

Future pastors start training in the applied theology program

When Jeremy Flye was 13, his grandfather’s death made Flye think about his own faith in the midst of sorrow.

“His death led me to search the Bible for answers, which ended up being the only source of rest for my soul in the midst of my grief,” said Flye, who is enrolled in the Bachelor of Applied Theology program at California Baptist University. “I gained a greater dependence upon God and trust in His promises.”

As a student at Woodcrest Christian High School in Riverside, Flye developed a love for studying the Bible and during that time, the desire to teach the Good Book grew.

“[The applied theology program] will help me to not only grow in my knowledge and study of Scripture, but it will also help me in the application of it in the local church,” said Flye, who started his first semester at CBU this fall. “I want to go to seminary and become a teaching pastor at a church. I hope to write books on theology and Christian living.”

The Bachelor of Applied Theology program aims to train and support students as they pursue ministry and fulfill the Great Commission’s mandate.

Dr. Greg Cochran, director of applied theology within the School of Christian Ministries, said students ultimately have teaching or preaching in their sights as they begin their studies in the Bachelor of Applied Theology program. All the faculty members in the School of Christian Ministries have been involved in ministry in some point in their lives, Cochran added.

“The disposition of our faculty is to think of our academic discipline through the lens of church ministry,” Cochran said. “Additionally, we bring in church planters, evangelists, pastors and missionaries in order to complement what is being learned through books and through the study of Scripture.”

The School of Christian Ministries Lecture Series also provides an opportunity for students to learn from leading evangelical scholars who encourage students in their ministry pursuits. Speakers have included Dr. John MacArthur, Dr. David Dockery, Dr. D.A. Carson and Dr. Steven Lawson.

Applied theology students are required to complete a two-year internship with a local church, which often directs their endeavors after graduating.

While in high school, Brianna Rios, applied theology freshman, became involved in ministry at her church and joined a Bible study. Studying God’s word sparked a passion in her life.

“Reading and studying the Bible for myself opened my eyes to the wonder of God’s word and to the beauty of His character. Growing in my faith helped me realize that I want to spend my life studying God’s word and helping others do so as well,” Rios said. “I know that God wants everyone—both men and women—to know Him deeply and to serve Him with the gifts He gave them.”

“My future goals include teaching the word of God at both the secondary and post-secondary education levels. I also hope to work sometime in Latin America,” said Rios, whose family is from Mexico.

Sam Nguyen, applied theology freshman who is planning to become a pastor, had a mentor encourage him to consider the program at CBU.

“CBU’s applied theology program was a major reason why I chose to attend,” Nguyen said. “I also loved the fact that CBU allows people who aren’t Christian to attend. I thought that is a fantastic opportunity for evangelism and a perfect opportunity to share the love of Jesus.”

“I hope to preach the Gospel wherever God sends me,” Nguyen said.

The quest for the Fortuna Bowl XXVIII Trophy begins at CBU

Are you ready for some football? The intramural football season kicked off at California Baptist University on Sept. 16. This year, nine women’s and 16 men’s teams are competing for the coveted Fortuna Bowl XXVIII Trophy, given to the champions of the men’s and women’s leagues.

Joe Mitten, a foundational mathematics freshman, joined a team to make new friends and stay active during the semester. Mitten said he has heard that the Fortuna Bowl is a big event on campus and is happy to be a part of process leading up to the championship games.

“I just want to watch the big game. I would love to play in it, but as long as I’m there to watch it, I’ll be good,” Mitten said.

Tyler Cox, director of recreation programs at CBU, said intramural sports provide an outlet for competitive and recreational play.

“Students who participate can expect to build community on campus by meeting new people and building deeper relationships with some of their current friends,” Cox said.

Cox said that thousands of students are expected to participate throughout the academic year in intramural sports and competitive events that include volleyball, dodgeball, basketball, soccer and softball. The most popular sport is flag football, Cox added.

The championship games will be held on Nov. 9 during Parent and Family Weekend. Every year, thousands of students, friends, family and alumni attend the Fortuna Bowl games. Along with food trucks and carnival games, this year’s setup will include an American Ninja Warrior course.

Club Fair showcases more than 70 clubs offered at CBU

Hundreds of California Baptist University students attended a Club Fair in Stamps Courtyard at California Baptist University on Sept. 13. The event, hosted by the CBU Community Life office, featured more than 70 club representatives that highlighted academic and social clubs in addition to recreational activities that are available throughout the semester.

Madeline Schaller, a nursing senior, greeted event-goers on behalf of the Students of Nursing Association club. Schaller has been involved with the club for more than a year. The club provides opportunities for service beyond the classroom, Schaller said.

“It is a good way to get hours of community service and it is good for your resume. When I graduate and apply for jobs, it will help me stand out from the crowd,” Schaller said.

Kamari Hooks, an accounting senior and president of the United Club, said her club aims to explore diversity and help welcome all races and ethnicities on campus.

“We come together to talk about our differences and multicultural backgrounds in an effort to become united,” Hooks said.

Karli Yocum, a biology junior, joined the biology club.

“I want to be surrounded by people who can give guidance on what direction I can take with my career,” Yocum said.

Graduate nursing students mark progress at pinning ceremony

A group of graduate nursing students at California Baptist University took a step closer to becoming registered nurses during a pinning ceremony on Sept. 12.

Thirty-seven students, who completed the pre-licensure program over 15 months, received a pin from a School of Nursing faculty member during the event hosted at Harvest Christian Fellowship in Riverside. The students now are qualified to take the licensure exam. Additionally, 40 students, who finished their first semester in the Entry-Level Master of Science in Nursing program, received a traditional Gideon pocket Bible to help them as they assist patients in the future.

Margaret Matthews, assistant professor of nursing, reminded the students that there is a science and an art to nursing.

“Science is all about the head, and we do a good job at the College of Nursing with filling your heads with lots of science,” Matthews said. “Now you get to take that and start practicing the art of nursing. If the science of nursing is all about the head, the art of nursing is all about the heart. When you start leading with your heart, the job becomes more than just a job. It becomes a profession, it becomes a passion and most importantly it becomes a privilege.”

Shadrach Dones, graduate nursing student, said the pinning meant all the hard work paid off and he looked forward to putting it into practice.

“This program has taught us how to serve,” Dones said. “Ultimately what God has called us to do is serve people. I think with nursing, it’s an honor to serve these people in the roughest parts of their life.”

Student Nastaishia Allen said receiving the pin made her feel like she was a nurse and she can go out to make a difference.

“I’m getting the best education here and the program really helps me live my true purpose,” Allen said. “I love helping people, I love being hands on.”

For Elizabeth McDaniel, becoming a nurse is a second career.

“This is something I put on hold for 30 years, and I finally got the opportunity,” McDaniel said. “It’s a lifelong dream realizing a goal I’ve had for a long time.”

CBU observes the 18th anniversary of 9/11 terror attacks

Hundreds of California Baptist University students, staff and faculty members commemorated the 18th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks by placing U.S. flags in the shape of a cross in Stamps Courtyard.

The Associated Students of California Baptist University (ASCBU) organized the event on Sept. 11, honoring the 2,977 people who lost their lives in the collective events known as 9/11.

Throughout the day, members of the CBU community stopped to take a flag and place it among hundreds of others. People knelt, reflected and some said a prayer. Additionally, in the evening there was a time of reflection, worship and prayer offered.

For Rocky Estevez, a theater and political science sophomore, continuing to pray for families affected by 9/11 comes from personal experience.

“My family is from New York so it really hits close to home. That day for my family was scary since my uncle is a flight attendant and my dad actually made a delivery to the Twin Towers 30 minutes before they were hit,” recalled Estevez. “The whole day just hits close to home, which is why I think it is important to lift up these people and their families up today.”

Andrew Zhu, a biomedical engineering junior, stopped by Stamps Courtyard before class to place a flag and remembered the tragic day.

“It’s really important for us to keep in touch with something that commemorates an important day in American history,” Zhu said.

Allie Sutherlin, an early childhood studies senior, said the event helped her to reflect and be thankful for today.

“CBU does a really great job of acknowledging and validating students’ feelings in general. This event makes a public statement that CBU wants to remember those that lost their lives on 9/11,” Sutherlin said.

Education dean seeks to equip teachers for the classroom

Dr. Robin Duncan smiled as she reminisced about her years in education.

“I always loved math and thought everyone else should love it too,” said Duncan, dean of the Dr. Bonnie G. Metcalf School of Education at California Baptist University.

Duncan started teaching in middle school and later transitioned to teaching math and chemistry in high school.

“I wanted to make a difference in the lives of students,” Duncan said.

She recognized that not all teachers had the training or passion to do the same. That desire led her to seek additional training in higher education.

“I thought, I’m only one teacher. If I teach at a university level, I’m able to continually train educators who positively affect students’ lives; the impact is exponential,” Duncan said.

Duncan transitioned to teaching at Samford University (Birmingham, Alabama), where she earned her doctorate degree in education leadership. She also became a director for one of the university’s education programs. Then, she was presented with an opportunity to work overseas. Duncan, her husband, Rob and their two children, spent a year in Indonesia and then three years in Malaysia. Duncan created a program to assist refugee students who wanted to attend college.

“I had the belief that if those students who had lived the [refugee] experience have an education, then they may be the very ones who can speak into the future of how we can better serve our brothers and sisters around the world,” Duncan said.

When the couple’s time in Malaysia was scheduled to end, the Duncans prayed whether to stay or return to the U.S.

“Then the opportunity at CBU presented itself, and it just felt like it was the right fit,” Duncan said. “One of the things that drew me to CBU was how truly Great Commission-focused CBU is. We were overseas because God called us to be. If we were coming back to the U.S., we wanted to come to a place where we could continue living out that Biblical mandate—‘to make disciples.’”

Duncan, who started at CBU last November, said the School of Education has a reputation of training professional educators and leaders in their field.

This fall 2019 semester, nearly 900 students are enrolled in the School of Education. The largest program within the school is the Bachelor of Arts in Early Childhood Studies program, which has more than 130 students enrolled. The largest graduate programs by enrollment include the credential, Master of Science in School Counseling and the Master of Science in School Psychology.

“All of our programs are about people caring about others and people who want to make a difference in others’ lives,” Duncan said. “I want to see us producing the best teachers for the students in our schools. The research shows us that a good teacher has more impact on a student’s learning than anything else. We want to produce teachers who have the skills and knowledge but also compassion and the heart to be the very best every single day for every student in their classroom.”

The goal is not only to give educators the research-based skills, techniques and methods, but also that they develop a heart to provide equity in the classroom, Duncan said.

“If we believe that every child is created by God and in the image of God, we’re going to do everything in our power to be the very best teacher for that student,” Duncan said. “If each of our teachers gives their best, we will see students’ lives transformed.”

Family Updates

Dr. Gene Moon, associate professor of music, served as guest conductor of the Orquesta Sinfónica Nacional in the Dominican Republic on Sept. 11. The national orchestra is based in the capital, Santo Domingo.

Dr. Mary Ann Pearson

C.L. Lopez

Dr. Mary Ann Pearson, professor of communication, and C.L. Lopez, adjunct professor of public relations for Online and Professional Studies, presented a national webinar for the Public Relations Society of America on Sept. 17. The title was Mentoring and Empowering.

Andrew Cress

Andrew Cress, director of special projects for the Office of Educational Effectiveness, was selected to serve a three-year-term on the board of directors of the California Association for Institutional Research. His term will begin January 2020.

From left: Dr. Ashley Parks and Matthew Lazari

Dr. Ashley Parks, assistant professor of public health, and Matthew Lazari, adjunct professor of public health sciences, presented a poster at the National Association for Healthcare Quality – NAHQ NEXT Conference in Phoenix on Sept. 17. The title was Advancing the Healthcare Quality Profession by Developing Direct Educational Pathways. Parks presented a second poster titled Driving Performance Improvement in Glycemic Management: Implementation of Basal Bolus Insulin Protocol.

From left: Lt. Col. Benjamin Smith and Dean Smith

CBU Veterans Resource Center celebrated the 72nd birthday of the U.S. Air Force on Sept. 18. In continuing the military tradition for each branch’s birthday, a senior and junior member of the Air Force cut the cake. Lt. Col. Benjamin Smith, commander of the Air Force ROTC at California State University, San Bernardino, served as the senior member. Dean Smith, an Air Force veteran and a CBU aerospace engineering student, served as the junior member.

Dr. Virgo Handojo

Dr. Virgo Handojo, professor of psychology, was a plenary speaker at the Christian Psychology Association at Satya Wacana University, in Salatiga, Indonesia, on Aug. 2-3. His presentation was titled Love, Spirituality, and Happiness. He also presented a series of seminars for faculty, students and local educators at Petra University, in Surabaya, Indonesia on July 5-6. The seminars were on Self-Love Assessment for Teaching Enhancement and Creative Teaching and Learning Strategies For Generation Alpha and Future Learners.

Dr. Sandra Romo

Dr. Sandra Romo, associate professor of communication for Online and Professional Studies, gave a presentation at the 33rd Annual Children’s Network Conference in Ontario, California, on Sept. 19. The title of her presentation was Building Community and Trust In Alternative Education Programs for Children and Youth.

Dr. Victoria Brodie

Dr. Victoria Brodie, assistant professor of public relations, presented at the first day of Leadership Riverside on Sept. 6. The title of the presentation was Leadership Styles. Leadership Riverside is a 10-month program sponsored by the Greater Riverside Chambers of Commerce to empower and educate decision makers in the community by immersing them in the issues and challenges that shape Riverside’s future.

From left: John King, director of Mobilization, and Dr. Lisa Bursch

The Office of Mobilization hosted its annual Leader Appreciation Dinner on Sept. 12. Each year, the office honors faculty, staff and alumni who have led International Service Projects. This year, Brenda Flores, assistant director-business administration for Facilities and Planning Services, and Jim Scheer, landscape lead for Facilities and Planning Services, were honored for leading teams for five years. Dr. Chris McHorney, professor of political science, and Ken Sanford, adjunct professor of education, were honored for 10 years of service. Dr. Lisa Bursch, associate professor of nursing, was named Mobilization Leader of the Year. Bursch has led teams to South Asia, Philippines, Spain, South America and Zambia.

Dr. Monica O’Rourke

Dr. Monica O’Rourke, professor of kinesiology, and CBU alumnus Keith Coury spoke at Norte Vista High School in Riverside on Aug. 28. They talked to advance placement statistics students about what it is like to work in the health and human performance industry and provided a variety of examples of how statistics is used in kinesiology.

Dr. Kendra Flores-Carter

Dr. Kendra Flores-Carter, assistant professor of social work, was the keynote speaker at the Riverside Community Health Foundation Maternal Wellness Seminar on Sept. 7. She spoke on perinatal mental health to pregnant and postpartum moms. Additionally, she presented a workshop at the 33rd San Bernardino County Children’s Network Conference in Ontario, California, on Sept. 18. The title was Improving Maternal Mental Health in Primary Care.

Military veterans enrolled at CBU attended the taping of the Veterans Day special of the “The Price is Right” in West Hollywood on Sept. 15. The episode will air on Veterans Day, Nov. 11.

Upcoming chapel services:
Oct. 1: Damon Horton, assistant professor in the CBU School of Christian Ministries
Oct. 3: Dhati Lewis, lead teaching pastor at Blueprint Church in Atlanta, Georgia
Oct. 8: Jacob Ravenscraft, CBU director of University Ministries
Oct. 15: Anthony Evans and Band, worship leader, artist and vocal producer

Andrew James Mathews

Christy Mathews, director of admissions and enrollment services for Online and Professional Studies, and her husband, Trevor, welcomed a son on July 31. Andrew James Mathews weighed 7 pounds, 12 ounces and measured 21 inches long.

Personnel Updates