October 17, 2019

In this issue…

Current News

Anthony Evans shares chapel stage with CBU student

“I love to worship with people, not for them,” Anthony Evans said during a California Baptist University chapel on Oct. 15.

Evans is an accomplished Christian artist who has released seven albums and has toured throughout the world. During chapel, Evans performed a variety of worship songs including “Fighting for Us,” “Great Are You Lord,” “Hope Is Alive” and “The Lion and the Lamb.”

Evans also shared a unique experience with a CBU student on stage. Evans asked the audience if anyone could help him perform the song “Boasting” that was featured on Christian rapper, Lecrae’s “Rehab” album. Evans originally performed the chorus to the song. Porter Wesson accepted the challenge and proceeded to perform Lecrae’s role in the song to the applause and excitement of the audience.

Evans also paused in between songs to speak directly to the audience. Evans shared that he attended Liberty University, a Christian university in Virginia, but did not fully take advantage of the opportunity to grow in his faith during college.

Evans said that once he experienced trials in the “real world,” he realized he was taking his faith for granted.

“I had to ask myself, do I really believe what [I am] singing about?” Evans said. “Being a Christian is more than just remembering verses or adding Christian anecdotes to your songs. I had to ask myself if I believe this is real.”

Evans said he was now choosing to focus on God’s goodness despite the emotions he was experiencing from a new trial.

To worship and to have faith are choices we make, Evans explained.

“I am choosing to believe that [God] is fighting for me,” he said.

Wyatt announces retirement; national search begins

Dr. Mark A. Wyatt, vice president for marketing and communication at California Baptist University since August 1, 2002, has announced plans to retire effective January 31, 2020. Wyatt has led CBU’s marketing and communication division for nearly 18 years, overseeing the institution’s branding, public relations, advertising, media relations, university publications and internet marketing activities.

Along with his administrative duties at CBU, Wyatt also holds the faculty rank of assistant professor of communication arts. Wyatt’s professional experience in communications, pastoral ministry, journalism and media spans a half century and includes 14 years as a radio and television reporter, editor and news anchor in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Kentucky.

Upon his retirement, Wyatt will have completed more than 36 years of service among California Southern Baptists. Before joining the CBU executive leadership team, he served more than 18 years as chief communication officer for the California Southern Baptist Convention and editor of “The California Southern Baptist” newspaper.

Wyatt has been an officer or member of boards and commissions for numerous denominational and civic organizations. These include the Baptist World Alliance, Baptist Communicators Association, Association of State Baptist Papers, Council for Christian Colleges and Universities, International Association of Baptist Colleges and Universities, Riverside Arts Council, International Relations Council for the City of Riverside, and Greater Riverside Chambers of Commerce. He also is a 2004 graduate of the Riverside Chamber’s acclaimed ‘Leadership Riverside’ program.

He has preached or spoken at meetings and conferences in more than a dozen nations and traveled extensively, visiting more than 40 countries on six continents. Wyatt holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from Valdosta State University in Georgia, and a Master of Divinity degree from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky. He received a Doctor of Ministry degree from Golden Gate Baptist Theological (now Gateway) Seminary, which honored him as Outstanding Alumnus of the Year in 2019.

Wyatt and his wife, Jean, are members of Saddleback Church Corona. They have been married more than 48 years and have three children and nine grandchildren.

A national search for a new vice president will begin immediately.

CBU students and faculty members shine at the Long Night of Arts and Innovation

California Baptist University faculty members and students displayed some of their innovations at the Riverside Long Night of Arts and Innovation event on Oct. 10.

The event stretched over several blocks in downtown Riverside with hundreds of people in attendance to learn about the latest developments in art, science and education in Riverside.

The Gordon and Jill Bourns College of Engineering had the largest presence for CBU that included several exhibits, including a high-speed camera, programmed mechanical hands, video game designs and an SAE vehicle. Civil engineering students featured 3D print designs that included models of the Fox Performing Arts Center, the World Peace Tower and Mount Rubidoux.

Alex Liu, a computer science senior, demonstrated an application he helped develop. The application was designed to help the Associated Students of CBU (ASCBU) track votes for their next election.

“It is a voting application to be used by ASCBU as a cheaper alternative. [It] uses the latest in modern application technology,” Liu said.

Victoria Lynch, a mechanical engineering junior, said she enjoyed discussing all the innovative ideas she is learning at CBU.

“Hopefully the event gets people in the community interested in engineering,” Lynch said. “[I hope it also] provides an opportunity for families to learn together.”

“Godspell” brings the parables of Jesus to life at Wallace Theatre

The theatre arts program at California Baptist University will present “Godspell” as its first production of the new academic year. The first performance is set for Oct. 11.

The musical, composed by Stephen Schwartz and originally written by John-Michael Tebelak, features a comedic troupe of eccentric players who team up with Jesus Christ to teach his lessons through parables, games and tomfoolery. “Godspell” also features the international hit, “Day by Day,” as well as an eclectic blend of song styles ranging from pop to vaudeville. The popular musical originally opened Off-Broadway in 1971 and has gone on to be produced worldwide.

“‘Godspell’ is about the parables recorded by Matthew about the prodigal son, the good Samaritan, the sower, the growing seeds—it’s the parables we all know and love,” said Lisa Lyons, the play’s director and an adjunct professor of theatre.

Lyons said students learned multiple dance routines and songs over a four-week rehearsal period. Students really put a lot of effort into this production, she added.

Ryan Lee, a communication studies junior, plays both John the Baptist and Judas.

“I learned [playing Judas] how to make a smoother transition, where people can see my character starting to change. From the show in general, I have learned how to be on top of things, engaging even when you’re not the focus of the scene,” Lee said.

“‘Godspell’ is a story both Christians and non-Christians can enjoy and people who don’t know much about the story of Christ can get an introduction to His story. This play is a really interesting take on the book of Matthew,” Lee said.

“Godspell”

When: October 17, 18 and 19 at 7:30 p.m.
October 19 at 2 p.m.
Where: Wallace Theatre, California Baptist University
8432 Magnolia Ave., Riverside, CA 92504

For more information and to purchase tickets, please call (951) 343-4319, visit calbaptist.edu/theatre or email mhyde@calbaptist.edu.

CBU Flight School hosts Girls in Aviation event

The Department of Aviation Science opened their facilities at the Riverside Municipal Airport on Oct. 5 in hopes of inspiring young women to pursue an aviation career. The Girls in Aviation event drew elementary age girls up to high schoolers to the airport to learn more about careers in aviation.

The attendees also had an opportunity to try out California Baptist University’s new flight simulator, tour the tarmac to see the Flight School’s fleet of piper airplanes and hear testimonies from female students and flight instructors at CBU.

Anika Borger, an aviation flight senior, shared her experience as a student at CBU. Borger said that she plans to become a missionary pilot after graduating.

“I think the most valuable thing for the girls attending the event is simply getting exposed to the world of aviation and all the potential opportunities they could have if they wanted to pursue careers flying planes,” Borger said.

Dr. John Marselus, chair of the aviation science department at CBU, said he hopes this event encouraged the participants to dream big.

“Every pilot can point to the moment in their life where they were inspired to become a pilot,” Marselus said. “We saw this in the eyes of many young ladies this past weekend and were glad to have the opportunity to do this for our community.”

Couch’s Corner offers newest dining options at CBU

California Baptist University opened its newest eatery, Couch’s Corner, to the excitement of the campus community on Oct. 8.

Located at Lancer Plaza near the Campus Store, Couch’s Corner is designed for the on-the-go lifestyle. Within the establishment is Delect-a-Bowls, which offers breakfast sandwiches and cereal bowls until 10:30 a.m. and then it switches to serving build-to-order poke bowls with fresh seafood, custom sauces and a variety of fresh topping options.

Couch’s Corner also features Shake Smart, a health-conscience option that allows individuals to create custom shakes from a variety of fresh ingredients. Additionally, Shake Smart offers cold brew coffee, acai bowls, sandwiches and oatmeal.

A line formed outside of Couch’s Corner early in the morning on its first day of operation as numerous students waited eagerly to try out the new dining options.

Denis Shostak, an exercise science major, ordered a shake full of “greens” at Shake Smart.

“I think all the smoothies are going to be popular and there are lots of options that are healthy, so that’s nice to see,” Shostak said.

Brodie Arbeiter, a kinesiology senior, wanted to be among the first to eat at Couch’s Corner.

“I am excited to have something different on campus, something healthy that will make my body feel better throughout the day,” Arbeiter said.

Couch’s Corner’s fall semester hours are as follows:

Monday–Thursday: 7:30 a.m.–9 p.m.
Friday:        7:30 a.m.–8 p.m.
Saturday:   10 a.m.–6:30 p.m.
Sunday:      Closed

Christian professionals speak at Faith and Enterprise event

The Jabs School of Business at California Baptist University hosted its first Faith and Enterprise event for the fall semester on Oct. 2. The evening featured several local pastors who shared their experiences concerning the business side of ministry.

Dr. Andrea Scott, dean of the School of Business, said the series is a way to expose students to professionals who love Jesus and are doing well in the marketplace.

Scott served as the moderator for the evening, fielding questions from the audience. The panel of executive pastors included John Collins from Harvest Christian Fellowship; Jon Hurst from The Grove Community Church; Kevin Bugingo from Relevant Church; and Dan Zimbardi from Sandals Church.

Zimbardi spoke of how he organized his workload as an executive pastor, explaining that a main task of an executive pastor’s is to figure out the most effective systems and processes.

“A lot of my work is around culture and organizational culture, which means creating a workplace where people want to work, they want to be there, they want to do their best work, their life’s work,” Zimbardi said.

Bugingo addressed the difference of return on investment (ROI) in ministry versus in business.

“In business, ROI is all about profits. It’s focused on the organization’s benefit,” Bugingo said. “The way I look at ministry is that it’s more like a family. A family functions on wanting the best for each individual’s success and each individual’s ROI. My goal as a leader is to help the [congregation] be the best that they can be.”

Jason Clarke, a business management senior, said he left the evening with a sentiment to remain humble and build meaningful relationships.

“When the pastors spoke about building relationships, that was big for me,” Clarke said. “I tend to just worry about my classes and keep to myself. But it is really important to mingle and relish in the relationships that you can find on campus and go from there.”

Nicole Berghorst, a marketing sophomore, enjoyed how the panel applied a biblical worldview to their jobs.

“I enjoyed hearing how they can add their Christian life to their job and how they differentiate their job from their personal life as well,” Berghorst said.

Three more Faith and Enterprise events are planned to take place during the 2019-2020 academic year at CBU.

CBU faculty members tackle “Biblical Spirituality” in new book 

Several faculty members within the School of Christian Ministries at California Baptist University helped produce the book “Biblical Spirituality,” which was released by Crossway publications in June 2019. The book is part of a theology series that explores biblical thought.

Dr. Chris Morgan, dean of the School of Christian Ministries at CBU, served as the editor for the book.

Morgan said the book addresses what biblical spiritually looks like on a day-to-day basis.

“Being spiritual is not separated from everything else we do. Being spiritual is related to our marriage, to our parenting, to our work; it’s related to every piece of what we do,” Morgan said. “The more I kept studying it, the more I kept thinking biblical spirituality is on the ground. It’s about day-to-day life.”

Morgan, Dr. Anthony Chute, professor of church history; Dr. Greg Cochran, professor of applied theology; and Ben Skaug, adjunct professor of Christian ministries, contributed writings for the publication. Cochran’s chapter focused on how spirituality relates to work.

“With spirituality, typically you think of a monk chanting in a sanctuary, but it’s meant to be lived out in the real world,” Cochran said. “It’s not that you have to be at work doing spiritual things, it’s that your work itself is established by God as a means to do good unto others, to love others, to serve others.”

Chute’s chapter examines prominent Christian figures such as Martin Luther and John Calvin.

“I looked at historical examples of how they worked out their spirituality,” Chute said. “That was my way of trying to put examples before us of what it means to live before God.”

Morgan and Skaug’s chapter looks at the tensions of Christian living as they expound on Romans 6-8.

“We have new hearts and desires that are God-ward, but we still have the old habits of sin even though we are no longer slaves to sin. We are slaves to Christ, but at times, our selfish habits and desires return,” Skaug said.

Morgan also wrote a chapter addressing the book of James and co-wrote a chapter on the trajectory of spirituality.

“James makes it very practical,” Morgan said. “True spirituality results in how one approaches suffering, the poor, to controlling words.”

The book series was created to assist pastors, seminary students and lay church leaders in their understanding of scripture.

“I hope that the book allows people to see that Christian spirituality is not a vague and directionless thing that leads people to create their own solutions. Rather, it is something that God has revealed to us from the Bible,” Skaug said.

“Reprocess” art exhibit at CBU Gallery focuses on recycling

The Rose Garden Gallery at California Baptist University is hosting a new exhibit titled “Reprocess” from artist Laura Goble that focuses on the concept of reworking. The exhibit, which features 29 separate installations, is open until Oct. 25.

“The theme is the recycling and remaking of old work and materials that I have sat with for a long time in my studio, and ideas and themes that continue to reoccur in my mind as I think about my work,” said Goble, who is an adjunct professor of fine art at CBU. “It’s about utilizing craft techniques that I have learned and developed over time and those processes and materials that keep inspiring me to make work.”

For Goble, developing as an artist has been a God-inspired endeavor.

“I think my passion for art came as I realized later in life that I loved using my imagination. As a video editor for eight years, I found working on the computer, in the dark, didn’t fuel my creativity, so I began praying for an opportunity to try something else. The Lord opened the opportunity for me in 2008 to leave that job and try art as a career,” Goble said.

Goble received her master of fine arts degree from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. She now works in multiple art disciplines such as ceramic, sculpture, drawing, photography, sound and video.

Goble said her relationship with God inspires her work.

“Clay is a symbol used throughout the Bible to help us understand our relationship with God. It isn’t till you take a class and get on the wheel that the biblical metaphors of God being the potter and us the clay actually start to make sense,” Goble said. “The clay is stubborn, only the potter with expert hands can force it into shape. He expertly molds us. He knows our final form and what hand movements he needs to make to get us into that perfect shape.”

“I am so blessed. I want to share that blessing with others. This is why I do my work and teach. I am feeling more and more like I want my art to share the Gospel with people, and I can see that the Lord is giving me inspiration for this,” Goble said.

Rose Garden Gallery Hours:

Monday and Wednesday – 3–8 p.m.

Tuesday and Thursday – 5:30– 8p.m.

Career fair provides new networking opportunities for students

The Business and Internship Career Fair hosted by the Career Center at California Baptist University attracted hundreds of students and alumni on Sept. 25. Event-goers were dressed to impress and eager to network with 44 different employers that were offering internships and full-time jobs.

Lisa Singer, associate director of employer relations at CBU, said that the Career Center instructs students to come to the event prepared with appropriate attire and plenty of resumes to hand out.

“Students are investing in their education for one reason—to be ‘hirable,’” Singer said.

“[The Career Center] brings companies to CBU that are hiring both for internships and full-time career opportunities. The job market is incredible right now, but so is the competition. CBU students are given a great opportunity to stand out above their competition.”

Joshua Lomeli, a business administration junior, attended the fair, looking for an internship.

“I figured I need to start putting myself out there, look for new jobs and network,” said Lomeli. “This event allowed me to get more comfortable talking with employers and helped me to break out of my shell.”

Christopher Jones, a business administration junior, said he attended the fair to learn about hiring practices of employers that attended the event.

“I learned that it is important to just be yourself when speaking with employers, and I need to start an internship now because that is how I will get experience,” Jones said.

Maede Joice Aviado, a healthcare administration sophomore, was encouraged after speaking to the different company representatives.

“It gave me motivation that there are so many jobs out there,” Aviado said. “The company—Bay Alarm—was looking for graduate students but said they needed people like me—someone energetic and willing to put their customers first. The company said just to keep coming back because we are going to remember you.”

The CBU Career Center offers nine distinct fairs throughout the year that target specific disciplines.

Fall 2019 CBU enrollment sets another record

Fall 2019 enrollment at California Baptist University set another record with 11,045 students, an increase of 5.3 percent over the previous year, President Ronald L. Ellis announced today.

The increase numbered 559 more students than the previous record 10,486 enrollment in 2018, Ellis said. He noted that the 2019 full time equivalent (FTE) enrollment figure of 11,391 is 744 FTE’s or seven percent greater than the 2019 figure.

Ellis announced the latest record enrollment at the regular fall meeting of the CBU Board of Trustees. The triple-digit enrollment growth in 2019 follows three years of 600-plus increases (610, 698, 618), one four-digit increase of 1,113, and four 3-digit increases of 813, 584, 616 and 784.

“Add the current year increase of 559 and over the last 10 years CBU enrollment has grown 6,940 on a base of 4,105 in fall 2009—a 169 percent increase in 10 years,” Ellis declared.

During its 69-year history, California Baptist University has seen 19 triple-digit or greater year-over-year increases—all of them occurring since fall 1995.

Since Ellis became president in November 1994, CBU enrollment has grown from 808 to 11,045, an increase of 10,237, which is 13.67 times larger.

“Fall 2019 is another record breaking enrollment increase on top of a sustained 25 years of significant increases,” Ellis told the trustees. “It puts CBU ahead of schedule to attain the 12,000 by 2025 goal.”

Founded in 1950, CBU is a private comprehensive Christian university located in Riverside, Calif. and affiliated with the California Southern Baptist Convention. CBU is a member of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities, the Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities, and the International Association of Baptist Colleges and Universities.

Ribbon cutting ceremony opens Psychological Services of Riverside

Psychological Services of Riverside (PSR) hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony on Sept. 25, marking the opening of the center. The center will help the mental health needs of the community in addition to training California Baptist University doctoral students.

The PSR clinic will offer psychological counseling, assessment and consultation services to residents of Riverside and nearby communities, while seeking to support underserved populations in the area. The clinic will offer such services as individual, child, family, couples and group therapy; psychoeducation; psychological assessment; and consultation. Services will be provided on a sliding fee scale.

Psychological Services of Riverside also will provide a second-year training experience for students in the Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology (PsyD) program in CBU’s College of Behavioral and Social Sciences. The students will be supervised by licensed psychologists—mostly CBU faculty—who also will provide services at the clinic.

Deandra Edison-Riley, a PsyD student at CBU, spoke during the ceremony about her journey to become a clinical psychologist.

“I’m very excited to be among the first to provide psychotherapy to members of the community here at the Psychological Services of Riverside,” Edison-Riley said. “It is my faith, which powers my God-given purpose to come alongside those who are suffering and walk with them down the path toward healing.”

Roi Sorbel, a PsyD student at CBU, said he hopes the opening of the clinic will continue to bring awareness to mental health issues.

“[Psychological Services of Riverside] will raise mental health awareness especially with young adults and elementary schools,” Sorbel said. “Nowadays mental health is becoming such a great thing to talk about because everyone is affected by it.”

CBU faculty members and staff in addition to Riverside city and community officials were on hand for the ribbon cutting ceremony and open house.

“As we seek to serve our neighbors together, I’m confident that we can make an incredible difference for those individuals, families and groups suffering in our community,” said Dr. Jacqueline Gustafson, dean of the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences at CBU. “If we might be just a small part of a

collective force to make Riverside a stronger and more supported community and bring hope and healing to those who are most suffering, we will consider our work worthwhile.”

Dr. Ronald L. Ellis, president of CBU, said this center will affect individual lives for the good of society.

“[CBU’s] legacy is to make a positive impact in other people’s lives,” Ellis said. “Thank you so much for being here at this dedication and for helping to make this be something that is a real value for the Riverside community.”

TWIRP week tradition helps create social connections at CBU

TWIRP (The Woman Is Required to Pay) week officially kicked off on Sept. 24 with a concert, one of the many events created for students to enjoy social interactions throughout the week.

Kristin Holderman, director of campus activities, said the tradition of TWIRP is geared toward creating a fun and safe environment for students to connect and form new friendships.

“We just want students to make connections and these types of traditional events help students feel a part of the CBU community,” Holderman said.

The Associated Students of CBU helped organize events that include a concert by Harbor & Home, a movie night, a barn dance and an outing to a MLB game.

Isabella Ayllon, a worship arts and ministry freshman, said she likes that the TWIRP tradition encourages a woman to invite a man to an outing.

“TWIRP is a week where the girls get to ask out the guys instead of the other way around, which is breaking that stereotype,” Ayllon said.

Ashley Fisher, a pre-nursing sophomore, attended the concert with hopes of making new friends.

“I think it is fun because you’re encouraged to meet more people. Going to an event like this one, you get to see so many new faces and I think it’s really cool event, even if you don’t go with a guy,” Fisher said.

Family Updates

Dr. Charles Sands

Dr. Linn Carothers

Dr. Charles “Chuck” Sands, provost and vice president for academic affairs, spoke at the International Conference on Health, Wellness and Society on Sept. 19. His presentation was titled Preliminary Investigation of Prehypertension in Taxi Drivers in Jilin, China. At the conference, Sands shared his team’s research on this topic. Sands was the lead author with co-authors Dr. Linn Carothers, professor of mathematics; and Jin Shu, president of Chia Tai International Hospital.

From left: C.L. Lopez, Dr. Mary Ann Pearson and Dr. Victoria Brodie

C.L. Lopez, adjunct professor for CBU Online; Dr. Mary Ann Pearson, professor of communication arts; and Dr. Victoria Brodie, assistant professor of public relations, presented at a Public Relations Student Society of America event at CBU during public relations week on Sept. 17. The team shared on topics such as networking, résumé construction, internships and various industries in the field of public relations.

Dr. Juan Castro, adjunct professor of business for CBU Online, published a book with his daughter, Esther Castro, who is an assistant professor of finance at the University of Houston, titled The Principles of Quantitative Finance.

Dr. Lysa Liggins, adjunct professor of public administration for CBU Online, presented at the National List Tour Profit Accelerator conference on Sept. 20-21. Her presentation was entitled The Psychology of Personalities and focused on the range of behaviors individuals have as well as what causes reactions to other people’s behavior.

Dr. Bonjun Koo

Dr. Bonjun Koo, professor of environmental science, presented a poster at the 2019 Korean Society of Soil Science and Fertilizer International Conference in Busan, South Korea on Aug. 23. The presentation was titled Accumulation of Heavy Metals in Citrus Orchard Soils in Jeju Island.

From left: Dr. Stephen Brown and Dr. Linda-Marie Sundstrom

Dr. Stephen Brown, associate professor of behavioral sciences, along with Dr. Linda-Marie Sundstrom,  director of the CBU Online Master of Public Administration program, presented at the Teaching Public Administration Conference on Sept. 19–20. Their presentation was titled Student Engagement in the 21st Century Asynchronous Classroom.

Dr. Marc Weniger

Dr. Joel Bigley

Dr. Marc Weniger, professor of business, and Dr. Joel Bigley, assistant professor of business, had their paper Trust in the Press as an Institution published in the International Journal of Innovative Studies in Sociology and Humanities.

Dr. Natalie Winter

Dr. Natalie Winter, professor of business, presented at the Marketing Management Association Educators Conference on Sept. 20. Winter participated in a panel presentation titled Let’s Get Real: Innovative Real World Classroom Learning Strategies.

Michael Berger, program director for graphic design and visual experience, worked as a creative director for an advertising campaign for the upcoming March 2020 NASCAR race at the Auto Club Speedway.

From left: Keenan Herdeg and Col. John Marselus

Keenan Herdeg became the first graduate of the new military pilot concentration program within the Bachelor of Science in Aviation Flight program. Col. John Marselus, chair of the aviation science department, administered an oath of office for Herdeg as he will serve in the Marines.

Dr. Bonjun Koo, professor of environmental science and faculty advisor for the Environmental Science Club, led students on several clean-up service projects. Koo and his team of students participated in the following clean-up events:

• Huntington Beach Clean-Up: Saturday, Sept. 21
• Santa Ana River Community Clean-Up: Saturday, Sept. 28
• CBU Campus Clean Up: Wednesday, Oct. 2

Dr. Frederick Pontius

Dr. Frederick Pontius, associate professor of civil and environmental engineering, was a visiting professor at Chung Yuan Christian University located in Taoyuan, Taiwan from May through July 2019. During his stay, he conducted research and published a peer-reviewed paper titled Regulation of Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA) and Perfluorooctane Sulfonic Acid (PFOS) in Drinking Water: A Comprehensive Review. Water 2019, 11(10), 2003.

Dr. Vance Nichols

Dr. James Heyman

Dr. Vance Nichols, adjunct professor in the Dr. Bonnie G. Metcalf School of Education, presented a two-day track at the ACSI Professional Development Forum entitled Reenvisioning, Reinventing, and Retooling: Creating a School Culture that Fuels Innovation. During his three sessions, Nichols presented research findings and applied implications for practice regarding school culture and the necessity for immediate, comprehensive and sustainable educational innovation. Dr. James Heyman, program director for the Master of Science Educational Leadership for Faith-Based Institutions program, was also in attendance and contributed at the sessions.

Dr. Karla N. Ra, adjunct professor of Christian studies, published Book Review on Teaching the World: Foundations for Online Theological Education for the Journal of Baptist Theology and Ministry.

Christopher Kern

The College of Architecture, Visual Art, and Design hosted its second annual Photography Academy on Sept. 31. Christopher Kern, assistant professor at CAVAD, helped coordinate the event that welcomed 40 high school students and educators from the community. The event featured CBU faculty members from CAVAD and community partners that hosted various workshops.

Brenda Harris, adjunct professor of education, Donna Harris, adjunct professor of English, along with two CBU students Anna Hart and Maria Esther Villalpando spent three weeks in China teaching English. The group traveled to Beijing, Datangzhen, Gaoqiazhen, Jiangshan, Quzhou City, Shanghai, Xuhui and Zhengzhou.

From left: Joel Brown, Andy Musser, Josh Morey and Ryley Marble

Financial Aid staff members Joel Brown, Andy Musser, Josh Morey and Ryley Marble summited Mt. Langley, the ninth highest peak in California at 14,026 feet high. The peak is 4.6 miles southeast of Mt. Whitney in the Sierra Nevada mountain range.

Bryan Engle, associate director of athletics/facilities and game management, and his wife, Keri Engle, welcomed Adelyn Leigh Engle on Friday, Sept. 20. Adelyn weighed 7 lbs and 3 ounces and was 20.25 inches long.

Upcoming chapel services:
Oct. 22: Mark Lee, lead pastor of Vantage Point Church located in Eastvale, California
Oct. 29: Dr. John Montgomery, dean of spiritual life

Personnel Updates