May 22, 2020

In this issue…

Current News

CBU professor finds inspiration in learning to play a hurdy gurdy

When Dr. Mary Vanhoozer was in high school, she saw someone at a concert playing an unusual instrument that drew her curiosity.

“I heard the sound and I was like, ‘that’s what I want to do!’ I became obsessed,” said Vanhoozer, an adjunct professor of piano at California Baptist University.

The instrument was a hurdy gurdy, a stringed instrument that creates a tune by turning a wheel with one hand and operating a keyboard with the other to change pitch. It sounds like a bagpipe.

The hurdy gurdy is a traditional instrument in her mother’s native France. Vanhoozer herself grew up in Scotland, where bagpipes are popular, and she enjoys the sound that the hurdy gurdy evokes.

“I love the folk repertoire for the hurdy gurdy that is from many different European countries,” she explained.

Fond of world music such as European folk, Vanhoozer also writes music. She has released three albums; two are folk-inspired, original music and the third classical piano.

Vanhoozer was a teenager when she added the hurdy gurdy to her Christmas list, but it did not land under the tree until a couple years ago when her husband surprised her with it. After she received the hurdy gurdy, Vanhoozer found a musician in Redlands to teach her how to play.

“He was so excited that anyone under 60 was interested in it,” Vanhoozer said. “He knows all this stuff and wants to pass it on to the next generation of players.”

Together they have played once a month at a Riverside farmers market. She has also joined a group of hurdy gurdy players in the greater Los Angeles area.

“For me, it’s been the perfect combination of piano and violin,” said Vanhoozer, who plays those two instruments.

Vanhoozer has taught musicianship, recital and piano among other courses at CBU. She encouraged her students to take advantage of this time.

“For the music students out there, what an opportunity it is to explore creative ways to share your gift in this season,” Vanhoozer said. “There are so many musicians who have stepped up to the plate and shared in creative ways that’s inspired me and that’s been a real gift.”

When the coronavirus pandemic closed things down earlier this year, Vanhoozer decided to produce online performances. It reminded her of the musicians playing on the Titanic as it was sinking.

“There’s something about that. We need people to continue a routine and to help create a semblance of things being OK. And as Christians, we know things are OK at the end of the day,” Vanhoozer said. “I wanted to meet people in their grief and in their suffering and be there as a presence (to) minister light and hope and joy because I believe in those things.”

Director of Athletics steps down at CBU

Dr. Micah Parker, after 11 years at the helm, has stepped down as the director of Athletics at California Baptist University. Parker accepted a similar position at Northwestern College.

“Dr. Parker has been a perfect fit at CBU as a man of faith and incredible integrity,” said Dr. Ronald L. Ellis, President of CBU. “I want to thank him for all of the hard work he has put into leading our athletics department through two transitions, from NAIA to NCAA Division II and now Division I. We wish him nothing but the best in his next chapter.”

Parker arrived at CBU in 2009 and led the Lancers from NAIA to NCAA Division II and NCAA Division I. In CBU’s final year at DII, the Lancers won the Learfield Directors’ Cup, which is awarded annually to the nation’s best overall collegiate athletics program.

The Lancers are in the midst of a four-year transition to D-I primarily as a member of the Western Athletic Conference (WAC).

Read the full story here.

CBU Athletics sets new records in academics

California Baptist University Athletics announced they set new department records for grade-point averages for a semester and academic year twice in a row.

CBU updated its department record for a semester GPA with a 3.475 in the spring of 2020 to top the record of 3.415 in the fall of 2019. It gives the Lancers a new record 3.445 GPA for the 2019-20 academic year, which is up from their previous best of 3.355 in 2018-19.

The Lancers have now updated their record for a department GPA six times in the last seven seasons. All 18 CBU teams logged a GPA of at least 3.22 and 11 recorded GPAs above a 3.4.

“I am extremely proud the student-athletes at CBU that achieved this new academic level of a combined grade point average of above 3.4,” said Rachel Keys, assistant athletic director of academic and student support and the senior woman administrator. “I congratulate each on their academic success and also want to extend my appreciation to the coaches, academic counselors and faculty for their support and guidance of our student-athletes.”

Women’s golf posted the top GPA in the department with a 3.95, while women’s cross country/track followed with a 3.72 and volleyball rounded out the top three with a 3.56.

The men’s teams were led by water polo and swimming, with a 3.43 and 3.42, respectively. Soccer was top-three on the men’s side with a 3.36.

It came in the middle of a challenging seasons, as the university completed its second seasons in NCAA Division I and switched to remote learning in the middle of the spring semester due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Lancer Nation supports Endurance Fund during COVID-19 crisis

In response to the unprecedented COVID-19 crisis, University Advancement is encouraging Lancers to embrace the Endurance Fund challenge that includes a request to Pray, Promote, and Provide for CBU.

The campaign has a three-fold approach: seeking God through prayer, calling for Lancers to unify in their solidarity of the university, and for those who can, provide financial support.

CBU Endurance Fund Challenge:

PRAY for CBU students, faculty, staff, leadership, and the entire Lancer Family.

PROMOTE CBU through recommendations of prospective students and through the promotion of the CBU Endurance Fund.

PROVIDE for CBU by making a sacrificial gift to the newly established CBU Endurance Fund.

Paul J. Eldridge, vice president for University Advancement, is overseeing the CBU Endurance Fund. Eldridge said everyone is adjusting to the new normal this pandemic has created.

“My heart goes out to the families that have been affected by this situation,” Eldridge said. “I am especially burdened for our CBU students who needed to make significant changes on short notice.” This pandemic is a trial for many individuals and our society at large, Eldridge acknowledged, but, “the CBU community has an opportunity to unify under this campaign and come out resilient on the other side,” he said.

The endurance fund was launched the first week of April and has seen some incredible generosity and success.

“We have had such a wonderful and encouraging response to our CBU Endurance Fund campaign. Alumni, friends, parents, and grandparents are praying for CBU, promoting CBU, and providing for CBU by having already given over $430,000 to the Endurance Fund. What a great blessing to all of us here at CBU,” Eldridge said. “I love Lancer Nation, and I’m already seeing Lancers facing this challenge head-on. This campaign provides an opportunity for our alumni, parents and friends to help CBU continue to fulfill its mission as a University Committed to the Great Commission.”

Keeping the CBU community connected

While the CBU community is doing its part by working remotely, we want to make sure Lancers stay connected. Here is a glimpse of how staff and faculty members do this while working from home.

Heather Hubbert, associate dean of students

Describe where you work at home.
Currently, I am working from my dining room table. It’s big, and I can spread out while keeping track of my kids as they do their schoolwork.

How are you staying connected with your department and students?
My team has been meeting virtually every week, and I have been checking in on them daily. We also have an ongoing group chat that has really helped us stay connected. I have tried to take advantage of the many forms of communication (WebEx, phone, email, etc.) that we have available to us.

What is one thing you miss from working on campus?
I miss people and El Monte Grill! I absolutely love my staff and the wonderful people that I get to interact with daily when on campus. While I am so thankful for technology through this, I will be so excited to meet with people in person—hopefully while enjoying El Monte!

Do you have children at home? How are you balancing being a parent and working at home?
I have 9-year-old twins, Evan and Emma, at home with me who are working on completing third grade. As I have adjusted to balancing parenting with working from home, I have definitely had to shift my expectations for all of us. Thankfully, my kids have been flexible, and I have been able to structure our days around my meeting schedule. We have all learned new ways to show grace for each other through this experience.

What is your snack of choice at home?
Almonds and lots of coffee.

During a WebEx meeting or class, has a family member or pet stolen the show?
My kids are always curious to see who I am talking to, but thankfully, they would rather play while I am in meetings.

Dr. Jong-Wha Bai, professor of civil engineering and construction management

Describe where you work at home.
I work in the home office downstairs of my house. On the desk, there is a laptop computer with a microphone, a WACOM pen tablet for my lectures, and several stuffed animals that I need for eye contact when I record virtual lessons.

Our department has weekly department meetings via WebEx. During our meetings, we share not only challenges and technical difficulties to make sure that our classes are going smooth, but also personal experience and ideas to improve our teaching. We also have active communication with students and industry people via Blackboard pages, emails and WebEx sessions. Personally, I requested selfies of my students for maintaining weekly engagements and it worked well.

I miss interaction with students during my lectures. I enjoy asking questions and building up discussions based on students’ answers. I also miss eye contact with them and that’s why I borrowed several stuffed animals from my kids and put them on my desk.

I have two boys (fourth- and sixth-graders). During the weekdays, they’re also busy with watching video lectures and doing their assignments. It has been great to have all family members spending time together, but sometimes it’s hard because there is no separation between work and family (school and others for kids, as well). So, we try to maintain daily routine almost every day: having breakfast together, reading Bible and praying, having individual morning session (for me, I have meetings and recording of my lectures), lunch time and afternoon sessions, and dinner time. Before and after afternoon sessions, we try to either walk around our neighbors or ride bicycles together.

What is your snack of choice at home?
My (and all of my family’s) favorite snack is the Kirkland’s chocolate covered almonds from Costco because they are delicious!

One day, my little one had his violin practice during my recording, and it became a wonderful background music for my lecture!

Family Updates

Dr. Ed Garrett

Dr. Ed Garrett, associate professor of kinesiology, spoke at the Inland Health Professions Coalition’s quarterly meeting May 19. His virtual presentation was titled Building Community Through Online Engagement: Connecting Health and Wellness From a Distance.

Matthew Lazari

Dr. Ashley Parks

Dr. Ashley Parks, assistant professor of public health science, and Matthew Lazari, adjunct professor of public health science, presented research at the Society for Public Health Education’s annual conference virtually on March 27. It was titled Self-Reported Mentorship Needs and Preferences of Health Education and Promotion Students.

Robert Ball, adjunct professor of organizational leadership for Online and Professional Studies, published a book in December 2019. It was titled A Follower of Christ, Five Identifying Characteristics (WestBow Press).

Dr. Carla Thornton

Dr. Kendra Flores-Carter

Dr. Kendra Flores-Carter, assistant professor of social work, and Dr. Carla Thornton, assistant professor of social work, are teaching two courses virtually for the Ministry of Education, Youth and Culture in Belize. More than 3,000 teachers are taking the five-week courses, Thriving in Uncertain Times and Digital Learning.

Philip Breitenbucher

Philip Breitenbucher, assistant professor of social work, presented to adoptive and pre-adoptive parents for Bethany Christian Services on May 3. The title of the presentation was Addressing the needs of children with prenatal substance exposure.

Dr. Joshua Rodriguez

Dr. Joshua Rodriguez, assistant professor of music theory and composition, wrote an article for The Gospel Coalition Arts & Culture blog. It was titled 7 Living Christian Composers You Should Know.

Dr. Mario Oyanader

Dr. Mario Oyanader, professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering, received a GANAS Mini-Grant for $12,000 from the Hispanic-Serving Institutions STEM Hub for his proposal project, The “3 Pasos” (3 Steps) Program. The program is aimed at guiding and retaining Hispanic high school students in STEM through college.

Dr. Kathryn Norwood

Dr. Dirk Davis

Dr. Dirk Davis, associate vice president of academics, and Dr. Kathryn Norwood, professor of education, both for Online and Professional Studies, participated as panelists in a virtual webinar hosted by Watermark on May 13. For every registrant who submitted a question during the webinar, Watermark made a donation to Together We Rise, a nonprofit helping foster youth during the COVID crisis. The panel was titled Tips from Online Learning Experts on Transitioning to Remote Learning.

Dr. Erin Smith

Dr. Erin Smith, associate professor of psychology, presented research as a science advisor for a curriculum meeting of American Association for the Advancement of Science’s program, Science for Seminaries, on April 29-May 1. She presented on Psychology and Neuroscience for Seminaries.

The NSSLHA (National Student Speech-Language Hearing Association) CBU Chapter, the student club of Communication Sciences and Disorders major,  earned Silver Chapter Honors by the National Student Speech Language and Hearing Association. This is the first time the chapter earned the honor. To receive it, the chapter needs to meet requirements throughout the year including community outreach, participating for legislative advocacy, and fundraising for the NSSLHA Scholarship.

Dr. Natalie Winter

Dr. Natalie C. Winter, professor of marketing and management, made a virtual presentation for Navigating Motherhood, a ministry of Compass Bible Church in Aliso Viejo, California, on April 28. It was titled Time Management.

Gabriella and Samuel Limon with Mario Limon (middle)

Samuel Limon (’20) married Gabriella Lewis (’18) on May 2 at the Lewis family home in Glendora, California. Limon is the son of Mario Limon, lead maintenance technician III.

John Alfred Carranza

Beth-Jayne Carranza, graduate administrative assistant for the College of Nursing, and her husband, Joe, welcomed a son on April 10. John Alfred Carranza weighed 8 pounds, 7 ounces and measured 20 inches.

Personnel Updates