May 4, 2021

In this issue…

Current News

CBU celebrates graduates at spring commencement ceremonies

Dr. Ronald L. Ellis, president of California Baptist University, congratulated hundreds of graduating students during two commencement ceremonies held on the Front Lawn on May 3.

From May 4-6, CBU will hold six additional ceremonies to honor the 2021 graduates. Another four ceremonies will be held May 7 and 10 to honor the 2020 graduates who were celebrated in December with a virtual commencement. To stay in compliance with health guidelines due to COVID-19, the ceremonies are being held outdoors. Each one features approximately 200 graduates and limited guests.

Combined applications for graduation for spring 2021 commencement ceremonies included four candidates for doctoral degrees, 624 for master’s degrees and 1,169 for bachelor’s degrees for a total of 1,797 applicants.

Ellis said the graduates had navigated the various requirements necessary to receive their diploma. They also adapted to changes and interruptions caused by a global pandemic.

“Each of these graduating students has arrived at this point because of a shared commitment to the challenging yet rewarding endeavor of higher education. Each one has overcome obstacles to achieve this goal,” Ellis said. “The Board of Trustees, administrators, faculty and staff members join to celebrate and honor the exceptional efforts each of you has made to earn your degree.”

Dr. Anthony Dockery, chair of the CBU Board of Trustees, recognized the specialness of the in-person celebration.

“Indeed, this is the day that the Lord has made and we are already rejoicing and being glad in it. I know we want to celebrate,” Dockery said.

He also encouraged the graduates to use the Great Commission training they received at CBU to benefit others.

“We know commencement is not about an ending, it’s all about a new beginning. We are grateful for all the time these students have poured in to prepare for such a time as this,” Dockery said. “I pray that whatever role [they] move into, that they indeed will be that city that is set upon a hill that can’t be hid and will live their purpose.”

Ellis reminded the graduates they were leaving with the qualities embodied in the university student outcomes, known as the Core Four — Academically Prepared, Biblically Rooted, Globally Minded and Equipped to Serve.

“I hope these outcomes will continue to inspire you going forward, and that from time to time you will reflect on how they influence you as you live your lives and serve others,” Ellis said.

Lilia Riccio, a Bachelor of Arts in History graduate, said she was very happy when CBU announced plans for commencement.

“I feel like you need the closure,” Riccio said.

“CBU showed me what it means to be a teacher and be a Christian,” said Riccio, who plans to be a teacher. “My professors led by example and provided good encouragement and mentored as I moved forward on that path.”

Fernando Albarran, a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice graduate, plans to go into law enforcement.

“CBU helped me with my communication skills and my teamwork skills and helped me grow more confident in my plans for the future,” Albarran said.

Distinguished students ring in commencement ceremonies

California Baptist University will celebrate 2021 spring commencement from May 3-6 for nearly 1,800 students who are qualified to participate in the eight ceremonies.

Tradition calls for a distinguished scholar to ring the bell prior to each ceremony. Each toll of the bell represents one decade of the university’s existence. The bell will ring seven times at each of the ceremonies to commemorate the seven decades of academic excellence. CBU was established in 1950.

On May 3, Eunice Hahn, a Bachelor of Arts in English candidate, will ring the bell at the 9:30 a.m. ceremony, and Katelin Booth, earning a Bachelor of Arts in Christian Studies and in Graphic Design and Visual Experience, will do so at the 2 p.m. ceremony. On May 4, Michelle Senter, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing candidate, will ring the bell at the 9:30 a.m. ceremony, and Kaycee Binder, a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science candidate, will do so at the 2 p.m. event. On May 5, Grace Normoyle, a Bachelor of Science in Electrical and Computer Engineering candidate, will ring the bell at the 9:30 a.m. ceremony, and Noel Akeh, earning a Bachelor of Arts in Architecture and a Master of Architecture, will ring it at the 2 p.m. event. On May 6, Amy Payne, a Bachelor of Arts in Communication Studies candidate, was chosen to ring the bell at 9:30 a.m. and Nichole Sporcich, a Bachelor of Science in Marketing candidate, will do so at the 2 p.m. event.

Binder, who has a 3.98 GPA, said it was an honor to be selected as a bell ringer. She plans to attend a graduate program to become a physical therapist.

“My professors propelled me on my career path through encouraging the pursuit of physical therapy,” Binder said. “I chose CBU because I was looking for an undergraduate school that would allow me to learn from knowledgeable, Christ-centered professors, as well as find like-minded friends who love God and their future career paths, and I am extremely blessed to have found that.”

Booth, whose GPA is 3.95, said reaching graduation was more special after the unpredictability of the past year.

“I learned from outstanding professors and gained the knowledge and tools necessary to step into my career field,” Booth said. “I was also able to learn from many people who challenged me to grow spiritually. I now have a genuine understanding of my faith and am better equipped to go out into the world to share the Good News with others for the glory of God.”

Normoyle, who has a 4.0 GPA, plans to work for Edwards Air Force Base in navigation and guidance testing.

“I have loved how the engineering department focused on integrating our faith with engineering and making our jobs and life a mission field,” Normoyle said. “Professors and faculty were there beside me pushing me to figure out what God’s purpose is for me and after that they were right there to support me.”

Akeh, whose GPA is 3.65, said when she learned she was chosen as a bell ringer she was excited and felt a sense of satisfaction that her hard work paid off.

“As an aspiring young architect, CBU surrounded me with like-minded students and excellent professors, who married the technical concepts with their spiritual values,” Akeh said. “CBU helped me become a well-rounded architect, able to see the light at the end of the tunnel, while remaining positive throughout this incredible and enriching journey.”

Hooding ceremonies highlight graduates’ academic success

Hundreds of master’s degree candidates at California Baptist University are celebrating their academic achievements at department specific hooding ceremonies, leading up to commencement ceremonies May 3-6.

More than 620 master’s degree candidates and four doctoral candidates are eligible to participate in the spring commencements. At CBU, colleges and schools hold individual hooding ceremonies to recognize their candidates and give students their distinctive colored hoods to wear at their commencement ceremony.

The College of Behavioral and Social Sciences has the largest group of master’s candidates with 190. The Dr. Bonnie G. Metcalf School of Education has the second largest group with 93 candidates. Additionally, the Online and Professional Studies division has 150 master candidates and three doctoral candidates for graduation throughout its various programs.

At the applied mathematics hooding on April 23, Dr. Linn Carothers, department chair of mathematical sciences, told the graduates that the ceremony is like passing the torch.

“Some of you are going to go into teaching, some of you are going to go into research, some of you are going to teach at various levels. But actually, everyone in this room is the teacher because you’re handing off your skills to other people,” Carothers said. “We have yet to see what God’s going to go do with each of you as you live your purpose.”

Alondra Cano, who earned a Master of Science in Applied Mathematics, said the professors helped prepare the students for the future.

“They are extremely invested in the students and genuinely want the best for you. They push you and motivate you to be your best and to move forward as well as have faith at the same time,” Cano said.

Rachel Robinson, who earned a Master of Science in Applied Mathematics, received her bachelor’s from CBU as well. She plans to pursue her doctorate.

“The professors have really helped me strengthen my math and writing skills. They really prepared me for everything I am about to encounter in the future,” Robinson said.

A glance back at commencement ceremonies

Commencement on the Front Lawn in 1963 and 2021.

Commencement at California Baptist University is in-person this spring, returning to the Front Lawn.

As CBU has grown, commencement ceremonies have been held in various locations, including the Front Lawn, the Citizens Business Bank Arena (now Toyota Arena) in Ontario, California, and the Events Center.

A few faculty and staff share memories of past ceremonies and advice for graduates.

Debbie Passalacqua, associate director of graduate admissions, has been at CBU 20 years.

What are some of your favorite memories of commencement?
I still remember when the graduate student commencement was on the Front Lawn, in the evening with the stage under the lighted palm trees. It was a beautiful, inspiring sight. My job then was to dismiss the rows of graduates to receive their diplomas. I was happy for the opportunity to greet the students and see the journey come full circle for those I had helped admit to CBU. Another favorite memory is when I had “bobby pin duty” at Citizens Business Bank Arena. I made sure the graduates’ mortar boards and hoods were on correctly. It was a festive, happy atmosphere I was happy to be a part of.

How has commencement changed during the time you have been here?
In 2001, from my office in the James Building, I could hear the stage being built. During my time here, the undergraduate and graduate commencements have been separated and locations have changed. The one thing that has not changed is the meticulous planning. I know this week’s commencements will be wonderful events.

What advice do you have for graduates?
Getting your degree is just part of the journey. There will always be something more to learn. Don’t be afraid to take chances and ask for help when needed. Don’t give up on your dreams. Have faith in yourself and, of course, have faith that the Lord has a plan for your life.

Kris Smith, assistant director of mobilization, has been at CBU 26 years.

My favorite memory of graduation was the spring of 2003 or 2004. The weather forecast changed quickly, and we were faced with a prediction of rain. After having the Front Lawn set for commencement, we ordered a tent to cover the lawn. We had to remove thousands of chairs so they could install the tent. All the Student Services staff had to reset the chairs in the middle of the night after the tent was installed. We ordered pizza and just worked until it was done. On graduation morning, the procession happened and when the ceremony started, there was a downpour. By the time the ceremony finished two hours later, the sun came out.

Commencement used to be celebrated on the Front Lawn for many years for undergraduates. Graduate students had a separate ceremony in Stamps Courtyard on Friday night. Both ceremonies were lovely. It was a beautiful setting and a big family celebration. As the number of graduates grew, the event was moved to the Citizens Business Bank Arena. With the completion of the CBU Events Center, it was wonderful to bring the ceremonies back to campus.

What advice do you have for graduates?
Walk. When you are getting ready to walk across that stage to accept your diploma, you will be glad you participated. You are worth being celebrated for this accomplishment. The only regrets come from those who decided not to walk.

Dr. Robert Shields, director of curriculum development for Online and Professional Studies, has been at CBU 21 years.

Over the years, I’ve enjoyed serving at commencement as an usher. It was always fun to participate in this way — it gave me a direct way to celebrate with the graduates and their families. As CBU faculty and staff, we work hard to ensure that each and every graduate is fully equipped to live their purpose. Attending commencement gives us an opportunity to see the “why” behind the work that we do day in and day out. Seeing familiar faces in caps and gowns and hearing familiar names read on the loudspeakers as graduates walk across the stage provides a feeling of fulfillment.

In earlier years, commencement was held on the Front Lawn. As the event grew, it was relocated to the Citizens Business Bank Arena. The CBU Events Center has proven to be the perfect location for commencement. It was nice to be able to bring commencement back to the CBU campus.

What advice do you have for graduates?
Congratulations on reaching this milestone! You’ve proven to yourself and others that you can accomplish great things. Know that God has even more in store for you. Don’t stop setting goals for yourself. Follow that desire that God has placed in your heart and go for it!

Dr. Amy Stumpf, professor of society and religion, has been at CBU 26 years.

Every year I love hearing the bell ringing to begin the ceremony. Also: wearing shorts underneath my regalia. Not so favorite: Worst sunburn of my life working commencement on the Front Lawn in 1996 or 1997.

We used to have baccalaureate in the morning and commencement in the afternoon. The baccalaureate was at Magnolia Church. When commencement was on the Front Lawn, maintenance would build a stage. I was in Academic Affairs, and I would ride in an old truck that backfired a lot down to Parkview Nursery, where we would borrow plants to make the stage look better. I was always so embarrassed when the truck would backfire all the way there and back.

What advice do you have for graduates?
Be humble. It is easy to think, “I have a degree now so I deserve a good paying job or a certain lifestyle.” Nope – you are entering the season of life where you have to pay your dues. That takes humility. Thank your professors, individually, if they have had a significant impact on you. YOU are our life’s work.

Gift funds new financial analysis software at School of Business

Dr. Adele Harrison and Josh Dunaj

The Dr. Robert K. Jabs School of Business recently received a commitment for $60,000 to fund the latest financial analysis software for the next four years.

It started with a routine call from a faculty member to a prospective student.

Dr. Adele Harrison, professor of finance, had built a relationship with the parent of the prospective student.

“Their family noticed CBU several years ago because of our strong, conservative, Christian stance,” Harrison said.

They had followed the university ever since, considering CBU as a top choice as soon as their son was ready to enter college, she said.

However, the family was disappointed that the Bachelor of Science in Finance program did not have access to a Bloomberg terminal, Harrison said. The software provides real-time financial market data and company/economic research that is available at all the top financial firms such as Morgan Stanley, Merrill, Goldman Sachs and others.

“They really liked CBU but thought a Bloomberg terminal was imperative to their prospective student’s finance degree,” Harrison said. “I said it could be years before I found the money for a terminal.”

Earlier this month the family let Harrison know they would like to discuss making a contribution for a financial terminal.

Harrison revisited discussions with Bloomberg and its competitors. She arranged a demonstration with Refinitiv the same week the family visited CBU. Within 24 hours of the demonstration, the family made its gift. Josh Dunaj, director of development, played a key role in hosting and engaging this family during their visit.

With the terminal, finance students will graduate with a certificate that informs prospective employers that they can access, research and analyze data on par with larger universities such as University of California, Riverside and Chapman University, Harrison said.

“Despite social pressures, we remained true to our beliefs as a university. And we revealed the truth about our program status with this prospective student’s family,” said Dr. Tim Gramling, dean of the School of Business. “Because we operated in the truth, God honored us with this amazing opportunity. Praise be to God!”

Engineering students demonstrate their robotic creations

Teams of freshmen at California Baptist University spent the semester constructing robots that raced against each other in the Engineering Design Competition held on April 22.

The participants, who were enrolled in Introduction to Engineering Design (EGR102), cheered as their robots moved across the table in an attempt to collect and deposit orbs.

“We went into this competition wanting to win,” said Gavin Boone, a biomedical engineering freshman. “We had a lot of testing time. We thought we had a good chance.”

His team, EZ Money, succeeded in its effort, winning the event hosted by the Gordon and Jill Bourns College of Engineering. Teammates were Emanuel Ahumada, Chris Althausen, Tyler Bagwill, Elijah Brown, Gianna Gonzales, Syedah Khawar, Ryan Miller, Angela Rodriguez, Mariam Samir, Bernice Sanchez, Eric Schmidt, Jared Shea and Hayden Zielinski.

The annual competition, held in the Dennis and Carol Troesh Engineering Building, was limited to the participating students and faculty. The livestreamed event was part of the college’s 2021 Design Showcase, which also included junior design projects and senior capstone projects.

Dr. Mark Gordon, associate professor of biomedical engineering, said the experience teaches students the design process.

“We try to teach them that they need to brainstorm a lot,” Gordon said. “Brainstorm from a big picture all the way down to the small components they need to use. Then they need to test and do a lot of iterations on it.”

Designing included a cardboard mockup, then laser-cut foam and 3D printing, and finally acrylic and more 3D printing, Gordon said. Students built robots that collected data remotely via sensors. Teams then used that data to collect orbs of varying values while minimizing energy, cost and time.

Boone said the biggest challenge was the gearbox, which his team had to build several times. The team also learned complicated bots are not always better.

“Simple is the way to go,” Boone said. “I have some friends who have some complicated bots and put in way more time than we did. Our bot worked and it worked well.”

Teammate Syedah Khawar, a chemical engineering freshman, said she learned how to collaborate with her team members.

“I also learned to share crazy ideas,” Khawar said. “We all contributed equally, so I feel that the one thing I learned is that you should share every idea that you have because you never know how beneficial it’s going to be to your group.”

Students showcase films on the (inflatable) silver screen 

Audience members attending the annual California Baptist University Student Film Festival on April 22 bundled up against the cool evening as they gathered to watch the films.

Last year, the film festival was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This year, 20 films were screened on an inflatable movie screen on the Mission Hall Lawn.

“It was great to have the festival again this year,” said Michael Eaton, professor of film studies. “For any filmmaker including student filmmakers, screening your work for audiences is crucial to creative and professional development.”

The genres included thriller, Western, horror, comedy and music videos. The film “Surprise,” directed and written by Austen Heldoorn, won five awards, including Best Film. Heldoorn was also a producer, editor and actor in the dark comedy.

“I learned that rushing the process never promises the outcome you desire—it is OK to breathe and say, ‘Let’s try it a different way,’” said Heldoorn, a film senior. “This experience has been extraordinarily enlightening. I could not have done it without the cast and crew that weathered long nights and technical mishaps with me.”

Torrin Diaz, a film senior, said it was a great experience seeing his film on the big screen and watching films with an audience after a year of being away from movie theaters. He was director and editor on his film, “Sonoran,” which earned Best Editing and tied for Best Production Design.

“While shooting this project I learned a great deal about collaboration and communicating ideas with others,” Diaz said. “Maintaining a cohesive vision while expressing key aspects of performances with actors and technical decisions with crew can be overwhelming, but I had great support from them, and we all learned more about effective teamwork.”

Derrick Meese, a film senior, was writer, director and actor for “The Wind Howls.” He said he often mentally pictured shooting scenes a certain way, but on location the reality would be different for various reasons. When that happened, his crew and actors would have suggestions.

“I cannot emphasize how great it was to work with such a wonderful team. I recommend all aspiring artists of any medium surround themselves with the most talented and passionate people they can find. If they do so they cannot help but be inspired,” Meese said.

Ellie Dickerson, a film junior, was director, producer and editor for “Sabotage.” She learned about the film production process and that she enjoys directing. She also was the cinematographer on “Surprise.”

“To anyone who wants to pursue filmmaking, go for it at full speed and endurance,” Dickerson said. “If it’s something that sets your soul on fire in the way that it does mine, you will see the rewards of following your heart and fulfilling God’s purpose for your life.”

Student Film Festival Awards
Best Film
First Place: “Surprise,” directed by Austen Heldoorn
Runner Up: “Spaghetti Rider,” directed by Josiah Murphy

Best Actor
Austen Heldoorn, “Surprise”

Best Actress
Taylor Thomas, “Sabotage

Best Supporting Actor
Ryan Lee, “Spaghetti Rider”

Best Music/Soundtrack
Dayton Goegebuer, “The Wind Howls

Best Cinematography
Ellie Dickerson, “Surprise”

Best Screenplay
Tie:
Josiah Murphy, “Spaghetti Rider”
Austen Heldoorn, “Surprise”

Best Special/Visual Effects
Benjamin Morey, “Paperclip”

Best Editing
Torrin Diaz, “Sonoran

Best Production Design
Tie:
“The Wind Howls,” Derrick Meese, Luke Brungardt, Mark Hamiter and Christian Spangler
“Sonoran,” Torrin Diaz
“Spaghetti Rider,” Josiah Murphy
“Surprise,” Tracey Grisham

CBU names Tyler Mariucci as new director of Athletics

California Baptist University has named Tyler Mariucci as the director of Athletics as announced by CBU President Dr. Ronald L. Ellis on April 23.

“Tyler will bring exceptional leadership and experience in athletics administration to Lancer Nation,” Ellis said. “His background at several reputable programs with strong outcomes in generating external support and a commitment to the student-athlete experience both in the field of competition and in the classroom will allow us to build on our commitment to excellence in athletics and academics.”

Mariucci has worked in leadership roles at NCAA Division I institutions spanning the Big Ten, West Coast Conference and Mountain West Conference during great transformation and change, including multiple conference realignments and significant increases in revenue generation.

“I’m very excited and honored to become the next director of Athletics at CBU during this transformational time in the university’s history,” Mariucci said.

The Lancers are in year three of competing at the NCAA Division I level primarily as a member of the Western Athletic Conference. As of late March, the Lancers were leading the 2020-21 WAC Commissioner’s Cup standings and their six league titles ranked tops in the country tied with the Texas Longhorns.

Read the full story here.

CBU earns multiple awards in Baptist media competition

Pursuit magazine, a California Baptist University publication, won multiple awards at the 57th annual Wilmer C. Fields Awards competition.

California Baptist University won numerous communication awards at the 57th annual Wilmer C. Fields Awards competition. The awards were presented during the annual Baptist Communicators Association workshop, held virtually April 20-21.

The Lancer Media Group and the Marketing and Communication division won a combined 23 awards in the student and professional competitions, including two of the eight grand prizes awarded.

Pursuit magazine won the grand prize for Best Overall Student Entry in addition to first place for the Overall Publication: Magazine and Magazine Cover, among other awards.

The other CBU student publications—The Banner newspaper and the Angelos yearbook—also won several awards, including placing first in their respective categories for Overall Publication. Additionally, The Banner placed first for its website in Interactive Communications, and Angelos placed first for Yearbook Cover Design.

“We are very proud of the Lancer Media Group team. The dedication and tenacity the students showed this year is very noteworthy,” said Dr. Mary Ann Pearson, interim director of the journalism and new media and public relations programs. “The Baptist Communicators Association recognizing the hard work and creativity is like icing on the cake.”

The Marketing and Communication division at CBU won four awards in the professional competition, including the grand prize of M.E. Dodd Memorial Award for Significant Achievement in Radio, Television, Film and Video for CBU’s 2020 Virtual Commencement. CBU’s State of the University address and the President’s Report also earned awards.

The Wilmer C. Fields Awards competition receives hundreds of entries from Baptist ministries, agencies, colleges and newspapers across the country.

To see a full list of the awards, please visit the BCA website here.

Family Updates

Dr. Jacqueline Gustafson

Dr. Jacqueline Gustafson, dean of the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences co-presented at the Society for Research in Child Development on April 7. The virtual poster session was titled An Examination of Current Practices in Short-term International Service Trips with Vulnerable Children and Youth.

Photo by Sage Zbinden

Four CBU photography students are among 27 students selected nationally for the American Photography 37 competition. Their photos are eligible to appear online in The ARCHIVE—the exclusive online juried collection by American Illustration and American Photography. The students are Jailyn Patrick, McKenna Watson, Marina Griffin and Sage Zbinden, who was also selected to be included in the print edition.

Dr. Lisa Hernández

Dr. Lisa Hernández, dean of the College of Arts & Sciences, was elected to a four-year term as a board member of the Association of Christians in the Mathematical Sciences (ACMS). The ACMS is a network of Christian mathematicians and mathematical scientists dedicated to integrating mathematics with faith and to promote quality teaching.

Dr. Ken Nehrbass

Dr. Ken Nehrbass, instructional designer I in Academic Affairs, published a textbook titled Advanced Missiology: How to study missions in credible and useful ways (Cascade, April 2021). He also published an article in Christian Education Journal titled Jesus’ Use of Experiential Learning in the Sending of the Seventy: Implications for Ministry Practicums (Vol. 18, Issue 1).

Dr. Erin Smith

Dr. Erin Smith, associate professor of psychology, was the lead author on a paper published in Mental Health, Religion & Culture (April 14). The title is Relationships between psychometrically distinct Brief Multidimensional Measure of Religiousness/Spirituality (BMMRS) factors and mental health among U.S. college students.

Dr. Mark Kling

Dr. Linda-Marie Sundstrom

Dr. Mark Kling, associate professor of criminal justice, and Dr. Linda-Marie Sundstrom, associate professor of public administration, both for Online and Professional Studies, presented two research papers at the Western Social Science Association Conference on April 13-16. The titles were Political Responses for Calls to Defund the Police and Defund the Police or Invest in Human Capital? A New Framework for Community Safety.

Dr. Dennis K. Bideshi

Dr. Dennis K. Bideshi, professor of biology, has been elected to serve as an academic editor of the journal TOXINS; on the editorial boards of Madridge Journal of Clinical Research and Journal of Biotechnology and Biomedicine; and as a review editor for the Microbiotechnology section of the journal Frontiers in Microbiology.

Dr. Gretchen Bartels-Ray

Dr. Gretchen Bartels-Ray, associate professor of English for Online and Professional Studies, had a poem published in Sojourners (May 2021). The title of the poem is Anthropause.

Ashley Sonke

Ashley Sonke, nursing student services coordinator II, published an article in the American Association of Colleges of Nursing’s Diversity Digest (Spring 2021). The title of the article is Applying Technology to Holistic Admissions Interviews.

Back row, left to right: James Sutter, Christopher Yanney, Joshua Shandley, Julian Wright and Dr. John Marselus. Front row: the FAA examiner, Dr. Elisabeth Murillo and Katrina Salib.

Five aviation flight/management students recently completed their oral and practical test earning their FAA dispatch rating. The students are James Sutter, Christopher Yanney, Joshua Shandley, Julian Wright and Katrina Salib. Dr. Elisabeth Murillo, assistant professor of aviation science, leads the dispatch program, which has had a 100% pass rate over the past several years.

Dr. Jeff Biddle

Dr. Jeff Biddle, director of the Counseling Center, conducted an asynchronous seminar for the Academic Advising department of Riverside Community College, Norco, on April 9. Part One was titled See Something, Say Something, Do Something, which provided training on recognizing and responding to students in distress. Part Two was titled Mental Health and Decision Making, which provided an approach to helping students make critical college-related decisions while experiencing mental health difficulties.

Alpha Tau Sigma, CBU’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, International English Honor Society, held a virtual induction ceremony for 11 students on April 7. In addition to the formal bestowing of pins and certificates, new members read poetry—their own and famous published pieces. Membership requires students maintain a high GPA in literature classes and the recommendation of university faculty.

The Modern Languages and Literature department hosted the English and Creative Writing Senior Awards Night and the Dazed Starling journal release party on April 21. The AJ Staples Award for an outstanding English major was given to Eunice Hahn. The Starling Award for an outstanding creative writing major was awarded to Jacob Haffner. The winners of the Dazed Starling creative writing contest also were announced. Mariah Mooring received first place for fiction for her short story Disjointed. Amberly Garcia earned first place for nonfiction for To the Girl Who Sees Dragons in the Clouds. An honorable mention was awarded to Amberly Garcia for her poem Surrendered Remnants, and the first place for poetry was awarded to Harmony Taetz for Seasons in Colour.

Dr. Owen Staley

Dr. Owen Staley, lecturer of English, made a presentation at the 66th meeting of the Renaissance Society of America on April 14. The title was Lucian/Lucien: Multi-Lingual Self-Fashioning in Renaissance France.

CBU Photography hosted senior portfolio reviews via Zoom with top professionals on April 29. The review allowed the seniors to present their yearlong projects and interact with industry leaders.

Joshua Graham Keneaster

Jeff Keneaster, director of academic operations for Online and Professional Studies, and his wife, Carrie, welcomed a son on March 24. Joshua Graham Keneaster weighed 7 pounds, 3 ounces and measured 20 inches. He joins brother Sam, 3½.

Personnel Updates